Thursday, March 11, 2010

Big Day #2 - Transfer

Hello from the couch just a few hours post transfer. I got myself one of those lap desks so that I could efficiently lay down and work from home on my laptop. I am liking this set-up. Today was our transfer day and I am excited to tell you all about it!

I had a rough night last night as I witnessed my already fluid-filled belly expand and get larger and larger. At one point I saw the Husband's eyes bulge when I lifted my shirt and I knew that things were getting worse, not better. I was so scared that I was coming down with hyperstimulation and our transfer today would be cancelled. After a 5 am chat with my sister who is an OBGYN and a morning acupuncture appointment I was feeling more relaxed as they both put my mind at ease that what I was feeling was most likely a mild case since I was still free of any of the serious OHSS symptoms (difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, rapid weight gain, etc).

We walked in to our transfer appointment at 1 pm with a fully belly (from lunch), 2 very swollen and full ovaries and a VERY full bladder due to their request for 20 oz of liquid 1 hour before the appt. After both changing into hospital gear (gown for me, scrubs for him) we were set up in a recovery room. After what seemed like forever (remember the full belly!), the Dr. came in with our final embryology report. From the 8 we had on Tuesday, 5 embryos still remained. They had selected the absolute best embryo for our transfer which was considered a Grade 3-4. Being the perfectionist I am, I was bummed that we didn't have a 5 so I asked her why. The Dr. was quick to point out that she rarely sees a 5 and ours was a very good looking embryo. Here is a photo of our embryo. There are three distinct parts to a blastocyst - the two cell types and the fluid cavity. I've done my best here to mark up the two cell types that make our embryo so pretty.



As development of blastocysts progresses, the cells in each of the 2 components divide and the fluid cavity enlarges. With continued blastocyst development the embryo expands, the shell thins, and it hatches out of its shell. Blastocyst implantation into the lining of the uterus can then begin and at that point we're pregnant!!

So next up for me is a fair amount of rest, just giving my body the opportunity to focus as much energy as possible on making our little embryo feel nice and welcomed. We'll get a call tomorrow with the final report of our 4 remaining embryos to see how many we'll have left to freeze based on how they progress over the next 24 hours.

Thanks for everyone's love, support and well wishes. Fingers crossed!

1 comment: