Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 39: Decuplets

I am so happy to report that My eggs and the Husband's sperm got along swimmingly and we got a call this afternoon with the report of 10 fertilized eggs. This means that male and female genetic material (DNA) are contained in the 2 pronuclei seen in the zygote. I was so excited to hear news and started hugging the Husband claiming "we have 10 babies (decuplets)!" Technically, they aren't babies yet, but I can't help but be excited about our DNA now coexisting in 10 zygotes. Now all we need is our fertilized eggs (zygotes) to continue to progress the the next phases of development (zygotes --> embryos --> fetus --> baby!)

Overall I am feeling much better than I was yesterday. I am still on quite a few drugs which will taper off over the next week or so and the side effects of each along with the fluid in my ovaries make me quite uncomfortable, but I realize I am in the home stretch and am determined to power through it. Here are the meds I am on currently:

- Progestrone in oil shots 2x per day intramuscular (in the butt)
- Doxycycline 2x per day (to prevent infection from the retrieval surgery)
- Medrol 1x per day (steroid hormone is taken to suppress any inflammatory reaction that might occur between the embryo(s) and the endometrial lining.

And, here is a photo showing you what our 10 fertilized eggs should look like. Can you see the 2 pronuclei?


No comments:

Post a Comment